Monday, November 15, 2010

Proposal


To set the stage Trace and I moved into our wonderful South End apartment on Aug 28, we managed to talk the previous tenant into letting us move in a few days early (charm and $200 bucks goes a long way). Once we had everything mostly set up we decided we needed something to hang above the couch, but not just anything, we really wanted something special and meaningful. After some thought we decided we would get a painting made, a cityscape of Boston representing all the important things to us about the city. As we continued to organize our apartment (thank you very much Bed Bath and Beyond) Trace came across a flyer for an artist we had met about 4 years ago in Arlington VA at some farmers market type of event (so much for convincing Trace he needs to throw all his papers, and crap away that have no use whatsoever).

We remembered that we really liked this guys work, and that he did a lot of stuff for couples. Trace contacted the artist and told him about our idea and he loved it. So we went around town taking pictures of all our “places”, Trace’s school, my school, our old apartment and new apartment, his workplace and mine. We sent the pictures to the artist and about a week or so later received the draft via email, it looked fantastic!! I was so impressed and so pumped about our painting, appropriately titled “Our Boston”.

On Thursday night October 28th , after slaving away many-a-hours on our homemade Snoopy and Woodstock costumes (Yeah don’t even ask if I will ever make a Halloween costume again) I asked Trace when we would be getting the painting, and he had said “probably in a few weeks”. Friday afternoon I got home from work, rushing to meet Trace to get some errands done before his “doctors appointment” that afternoon. Also please keep in mind it was “Halloween” at work that day, which means I was dressed up, and for those Washington fans in the house you will be happy to know I was wearing a Redskins jersey.

When I walked into the apartment I was on the phone with my mom, a conversation which ended quickly when I saw our painting hanging on the wall over the couch. I was so excited and looked at Trace surprised it had already arrived, as I walked over checking out all the details my eyes quickly moved to our new apartment, which happened to be front and center in the painting. I realized that one of the windows didn’t quite look like the others and as I leaned closer I realized that our apartment window in the painting was open, and inside there was a guy on one knee holding up a ring and a girl standing in front of him. I turned around, not sure what to think, was this a joke, a mistake, what the hell is going on. When I looked at Trace he just smiled and got down on one knee. It was sheer perfection!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said yes before I even had a chance to look at the ring, which, by the way, was beautiful.
So that it our story :)

1 comment: